The theme and thoughts behind this race series are to help with conservation project funding in Africa. As some of you might be aware of, big game parks in Southern Africa and in other parts of Africa are struggling to curtail the fight of the ever present dastardly deeds of the poachers that proliferate throughout Africa.
Their acts of barbarism are despicable and they need to be stopped in their tracks, to prevent mass scale poaching operations, this is on the rise now too due to lack of funding brought about by this dreadful pandemic which has curtailed tourism revenue coming into African countries due of course to the lockdown and enforced travel restrictions.
10% of all proceeds will directly benefit both Save the Rhino and Tusk. Save the Rhino aim to stop poaching and habitat loss so that, in 20 years’ time, rhinos will no longer be Critically Endangered. While Tusk are a conservation charity who amplify progressive conservation initiatives across Africa and fight the ever present threats of poaching and habitat loss.
Each week you will have 48 hours from the start of the race to complete the distance and upload your race data back on this page. Simply record your run using your favourite run tracking app or GPS watch, snap a screenshot of your completed race and a selfie (bonus points for making them Big 5 themed) and upload it to the finishers' gallery.
Bespoke finishers' medals will be awarded for each single stage of the VE event, with the special medal awarded afterwards to all the series finishers that do all 5 of the race distances. All the medals are bespoke wooden medals made in the UK by Chris Dolan at Swift Supplies and are eco friendly, made using laser technology.
VE Race day bespoke wooden medals will be categorised in distances run.
5 km - Leopard Medal
10 km - Cape Buffalo Medal
5 mile - Rhinoceros Medal
10 mile - Lion Medal
13.1 miles - Elephant Medal
Big 5 African Series - VE Series race discounted (5 distances over 7 days) will be £70.00.
- Big 5 Series entrants will get all 5 individual event medals.
- Bespoke map of Africa medal engraved with the Big 5 animal heads within it.
- Hermes Running technical buff (made in Czechoslovakia).
There is also an option to add on a bespoke Hermes running technical t-shirt for another £22, check out the design and sizing here:
Choose your event
How to complete a Virtual Event
Participating in a virtual event means you can complete the distance at any time within the event timeframe in a location of your choice.
Here's what you need to do:
Preparing your virtual event
- Secure your virtual spot in the event by booking your ticket
- Plan your ideal routeMake sure the route is at least the event length and as traffic free as possible
- Download a distance tracking app
- Ensure your phone and/or GPS watch is fully charged
During your event
- Record your activity on a tracker and take a screenshotThis can be either a phone or a GPS watch.
- Complete your activity in the designated event completion timeframe
- Make sure you go the event distanceBut don't worry if you go a bit further, we'll calculate your finish time.
- Take a Finisher's Photo to share with your fellow finishers
Submitting your result
- Head back to this event page to submit your resultsMake sure to submit your results within the event completion timeframe
- Upload a screenshot of your activity tracker or GPS watch to verify your resultsYou can still participate and submit results without this, but we won't be able to verify your results.
- Provide your finish time and overall distanceIf you go further than the race distance, we'll adjust your time down to the correct distance based on your pace.
- Share your Finisher's Photo on the Finish Line galleryGet featured on our Finish Line where you can celebrate your achievement and inspire others to get active.
Frequently asked questions
For more advice about virtual events, see our Virtual Event Handbook here.