Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race
Results & Photos
This annual Easter weekend event has been going since 1948. The Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race begins in Devizes, Wiltshire, with the finish line opposite the Houses of Parliament downstream of Westminster Bridge in very central London. Don't let this enticing race fool you because it is no mere paddle, it is a severe test of skill, physical and mental stamina and planning which produces a memorable sense of achievement for those successfully completing it.
Fri, 19 Apr 2019
Devizes, United Kingdom
Perks of booking with Let's Do This
Best price guarantee
We're #1 in customer satisfaction
You may also like
Invite friends, earn credit
After booking your event, invite your friends to join you and you'll get £5 credit if they make it their first Let's Do This booking.
Where and when
Devizes SN10, UK
Fri, 19 Apr 2019
Here's what races are available for Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race
£200 - £275
This race is 125 miles short and has steady 77 portages! You being your first 52 miles along the Kennet and Avon Canal heading to Reading, after that you head on to the River Thames for your next 55 miles to Teddington. And then your final 17 miles is a section on the tidal portion of the Thames.
How to get there
Devizes SN10, UKGet full directions
Parking/driving restrictions apply at the following locks:
- Crofton Flight: Observe all parking notices and cones. Do not park on or by the Freewarren Bridge (middle bridge). Please use the Pay and Display Car Park at the Pumping Station, if that is full there is parking available in the adjacent field. To reach the canal make your way on foot through the grounds of the pumping station, under the railway line and out on to the canal where you can turn right or left to get to a lock. Marshalls will be on site on both Friday and Saturday.
- Cunning Man, Burghfield: Do not park in the pub car park.
- Sonning: Do not park on the access road to the lock.
- Boulter’s Island, Maidenhead: Do not park on the main road or on/in/at the approach to the island. Use the public car park. Following residents’ complaints, the DW Race is now required by the local council to pay for traffic wardens there; illegally parked vehicles will be ticketed. Use the public car park which will be fully open.
- Bell Weir: Do not go through the Runnymede Hotel grounds to access the portage; these grounds are for hotel guests only and are out of bounds to supporters and their vehicles.
- Sunbury Lock: Rollers closed to supporters. Following complaints from the pub landlord, do not drive down towards or park in or near the Weir Public House. Please note, even if you use the pub, any car in the pub car park with a canoe roof rack may be clamped. All support crew must now park only in the car park of the Walton Leisure Centre and may provide support anywhere along the lock cut on the towpath side.
- Molesey Lock and Rollers: Closed to supporters. Support may be provided from the towpath up or downstream of the lock.
The course is as always going to be extremely busy over the weekend, so if you are not supporting a crew directly but still wish to view the race, please only visit our spectator friendly sites listed below. These have facilities and space, and enable us to to keep the portage areas free for emergency vehicles and support staff.
- Devizes to Newbury
- Newbury to Marlow
- Marlow to Ham/Teddington
- Central London
This event currently has no reviews, why not be the first? You could help someone find their perfect event.
Running in London Parks
Results & Photos