The Swashbuckler Middle Distance Triathlon
1 / 2
Results & Photos
A strong swim in the tidal Beaulieu River, a road bike leg in the southern area of the New Forest, and a fairly flat and sheltered run on lanes and river footpaths. This event is perfect for all levels, so come and
Middle Distance Triathlon and Aquabike
6:00am Sun 18th Jul 2021
Beaulieu, United Kingdom
Perks of booking with Let's Do This
Best price guarantee
We're #1 in customer satisfaction
You may also like
Fareham Triathlon Series
Fri, 09 Jun 2023 - Fareham
Salty Sea Dog Triathlon – July
Fri, 07 Jul 2023 - Bournemouth
Salty Sea Dog Triathlon – August
Fri, 04 Aug 2023 - Bournemouth
Sandbanks Sprint Triathlon - June
Sat, 17 Jun 2023 - Poole
Sandbanks Sprint Triathlon - September
Sat, 16 Sept 2023 - Poole
The event experience
Based on location and reviews
Invite friends, earn credit
After booking your event, invite your friends to join you and you'll get £5 credit if they make it their first Let's Do This booking.
Where and when
Buckler's Hard, Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu, Brockenhurst SO42 7XB, UK
6:00am Sun 18th Jul 2021
Middle Distance Triathlon:6:00am |
Here are the distances available for The Swashbuckler Middle Distance Triathlon
Middle Distance Triathlon
Please note that all routes are provisional and unconfirmed until the day of the event.
Wetsuits are compulsory.
Mass start or wave starts depending upon final entry numbers. The swim course will be 2 laps in the river & marked by buoys & patrol kayaks. You will exit on the same slipway and then follow a matted path up through the village and into the transition area. The river is tidal so there will be a bit of a current in places
- From transition at Bucklers Hard follow lane towards Beaulieu.
- Turn left at the junction towards East End
- Turn Right at the t-junction & continue to East Boldre.
- At the T-junction Turn Right.
- At the next T-junction turn right again to Beaulieu
- Continue towards Beaulieu Road Station
- Turn right at the marshal just before the hotel on your left
- Continue to Ipley Crossroads where Left when safe / directed
- Caution over cattle-grid and tight left hand bend just beyond
- Turn left after the Bold Forester pub, caution on tight right hand bend just beyond the junction.
- Continue to Ashurst to merge left with A35 – extreme caution!
- Continue on A35 to Lyndhurst. Cyclists must keep in single file and tight to the left on this busy road!
- Join the one-way system in Lyndhurst (you may have to stop at pedestrian lights)
- Keep Left and follow the A337 to Brockenhurst. Cyclists must keep in single file and tight to the left on this busy road!
- Turn left at the Balmer Lawn Hotel – caution cattle grid on the junction!
- SLOW & extreme caution through very narrow village lane!
- Continue out of Brockenhurst across the heath, back to Beaulieu on the B3055
- Repeat a 2nd lap as above from point 6 to 12 then:
- On the 2nd time you reach Lyndhurst turn left into B3056 Beaulieu Rd at Bolton’s
- Bench just before the large hotel on your left (opposite the fire station)
- At Beaulieu Road Station, just past the pub and hotel, turn Left
- At Ipley crossroads turn right when safe / directed—be prepared to STOP.
- Continue to t-junction at Leygreen Farm where prepare to stop if necessary and turn left when safe / directed
- Continue to Beaulieu Hill to turn left to Bunkers Hill and return to Buckler’s Hard
The cut-off time for completion of the bike course is 5 hours after the start time Competitors finishing after this time will not be permitted to start the run course.
- Exit transition and cross straight over the access road into farm lane opposite
- Continue along lane to the t-junction and turn left
- At the marshal point cross when instructed safe to do so and turn right
- At High Wood junction you continue straight on, climb past the cemetery following lane around to the right until the t-junction.
- Turn right onto wider road (watch out for traffic and cyclists!) then take the next track left to Bailey’s Hard
- Follow the track around to your right and continue along riverside path to return to Buckler’s Hard
- Continue past Transition to start your 2nd lap
- On completion of your 2nd lap turn into the finish chute!
- Tracks are gravel based – some tree routes and uneven surfaces along the river bank.
- Finisher's medal
- Finisher's T-shirt
- Post-event food
- Aid stations
How to get there
Buckler's Hard, Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu, Brockenhurst SO42 7XB, UKGet full directions
From London / The East: From M3, follow M27 Westbound, Exit at Junction 2 Fawley, follow A326 to Dibden Purlieu, right at roundabout to B3054 to Beaulieu and then follow the tourist signs to Buckler’s Hard.
From Southampton: A35 Westbound, onto A326 at Hounsdown as far as Dibden Purlieu, turn Right at roundabout on B3054 to Beaulieu then follow the tourist signs to Buckler’s Hard
From Bournemouth: A35 through Christchurch to Lyndhurst where Right onto B3056 Beaulieu Road, at Lyndhurst Park Hotel. Continue past Beaulieu village following tourist signs to Buckler’s Hard.
From The West:A31 Eastbound eventually becomes M27 at Junction1. Exit at Junction 2 Fawley, follow A326 to Dibden Purlieu, right at roundabout to B3054 to Beaulieu then follow the tourist signs to Buckler’s Hard.
Nearest Rail Stations: Brockenhurst — 6 miles (Waterloo—Weymouth Service). Beaulieu Road Station—4 miles for local service.
Event day logistics
06:00 Events start from this time
Entrants have the following cut-off times per leg:
- Swim - 1 hour from your start time
- Bike - 5 hours from race start
- Run - 8 hours from race start
Do I need to be a BTF member to enter The Swashbuckler Middle Distance Triathlon?
All entrants must either be a BTF member or have a BTF day licence. If either of these are out of date entrants must be £6.
What will transitions look like at The Swashbuckler Middle Distance Triathlon?
Big and spacious! Usually bikes are racked 4 each side to a rack but now it will be two bikes each side. Make sure you have your bike stickers on, wristband on and helmet on a done up before entering transition. The marshal will check from a distance. This will speed up the queue.
Do entrants get a finisher's medal at The Swashbuckler Middle Distance Triathlon?
Yes, all finisher's receive a medal and t-shirt.
This was my first Middle Distance Triathlon and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The swim was around the beautiful Buckler's Hard and the water was flat calm and a pleasant temperature in a wetsuit. The scenery on the bike and run around the forest was great and both were relatively flat. The worst hill was the last stretch to the finish! The majority of the bike and run course was fairly sparse in terms of support and atmosphere which was tough towards the end of the run. The organisation was fantastic and I didn't encounter any problems. However, I believe the race is being organised by a new team next year.
3.7Did the race in 2019
Running in London Parks
Results & Photos