Sprint Triathlons are multisport events, consisting of a 750m swim, a 20k bike, and a 5k run. All of the sections are exactly half the distance of an Olympic distance, or Standard, triathlon. They are hugely popular events, either for beginners who are wanting to build experience in triathlons, or for regular triathletes who are wanting to keep match-fit and to aim for a speedy new PB. Aiming for finishing a sprint triathlon in under 90 minutes is a good place to start. These events are often part of bigger triathlon festivals, where other distances might be on offer, including Super-Sprint and Olympic options. This means that family members and friends can all take part in a weekend, whatever their standard or experience. Some Sprint triathlons take place in cities, and have indoor pool swims. Others require open-water swimming, and the bike and run sections take you out into the countryside.
- PartnerSun, 10th Oct • Paignton£19 – £512 races: sprint, super sprint and moreCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 14th Nov • Paignton£13 – £301 race: sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 27th Mar 2022 • Harlech4.5(1 reviews)£45.99 – £61.991 race: sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 15th May 2022 • Exmouth£19 – £512 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 4th Jul • Hitchin£402 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 4th Jul • Paignton4.5(2 reviews)£28 – £593 races: olympic, sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 5th Sep • Bungay£44 – £491 race: sprintCovid Plan
- Sat, 7th Aug • London4.5(157 reviews)£62.99 – £205.52 races: olympic, sprint and moreCovid Plan
- Sat, 24th Jul • Castle Howard£27 – £2707 races: sprint, super sprint, half ironman, olympic, marathon, half marathon, 10k and moreCovid Plan
- Sat, 11th Sep • Gort£30 – £2707 races: sprint, super sprint, half ironman, olympic, marathon, half marathon, 10k and moreCovid Plan
- Sat, 25th Sep • Hever4.5(4 reviews)£30 – £2708 races: sprint, super sprint, half ironman, olympic, marathon, 5k, 10k, half marathon and moreCovid Plan
- Sun, 12th Jun 2022 • Windsor4.5(11 reviews)Price TBC2 races: sprint, olympic
- Sun, 4th Jul • Marlow4.5(4 reviews)£15 – £1103 races: half ironman, olympic, sprintCovid Plan
- Sun, 19th Sep • Windsor5(1 reviews)Price TBC3 races: olympic, sprint, super sprint and more
- Sun, 27th Jun • CirencesterPrice TBC1 race: sprint and more
- Sat, 31st Jul • Olney5(2 reviews)Price TBC2 races: sprint, half ironman and more
- Sun, 1st Aug • BedfordPrice TBC1 race: sprint and more
- Sun, 1st Aug • York5(4 reviews)£59.95 – £74.952 races: sprint, super sprint and moreCovid Plan
- Sat, 21st Aug • Seaford£64.95 – £94.953 races: olympic, sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- Sun, 5th Sep • Ellesmere5(3 reviews)£69.95 – £1792 races: olympic, sprint and more
- Sun, 12th Sep • Bournemouth£27.25 – £712 races: sprint, olympicCovid Plan
- Sun, 26th Sep • Dibden£451 race: sprintCovid Plan
- Sun, 24th Apr 2022 • WombournePrice TBC1 race: sprint
- Sun, 24th Apr 2022 • PaigntonPrice TBC2 races: sprint, super sprint and more
About Sprint Triathlons in the UK
The Sprint Triathlon consists of a 750m swim, 20k cycle and 5k run, making it the second shortest standard triathlon distance. It’s a great event for newbies to get to grips with the discipline and for the experienced to kickstart a season, making it one of the most popular triathlon categories in the UK. These shorter events can sometimes include indoor sections, especially for the swim, which means they can take place all year round.
It’s a good idea to be aware of the specific rules regarding equipment for any triathlon you enter. Depending on the conditions, different equipment can become mandatory for a race. We’ve put together a list of the essential items for any triathlon on our blog to help you get started.
What are the best Sprint Triathlons?
The Blenheim Palace Triathlon weekend is a great example of an event that focuses on the Sprint and Super-Sprint formats (in a truly stunning setting). In keeping with the regal settings, the Royal Windsor Triathlon offers both an Olympic distance and Sprint that is very well reviewed by our users.
Finally, the Deva Divas Sprint Triathlon has won much praise for its great atmosphere and route, but unlucky for the boys, as it’s women only.
What is the average time to complete a sprint triathlon?
For an amateur, especially if it’s your first time, anything under an hour and a half can be considered a good time. More experienced athletes might try to push for one hour and fifteen minutes or under. The top professionals expect to win races by coming in under the one hour mark.
How long should I train for a sprint triathlon?
Starting from scratch, but with a decent base fitness level, we’d recommend that you consider following our eight week training plan. This will help you to be as competitive as you’d like come race day. After you’ve completed a couple of these events, you might want to consider testing yourself with an Olympic Triathlon.