Sprint Triathlons are multisport events, consisting of a 750m swim, a 20k bike, and a 5k run. All of the sections are exactly half the distance of an Olympic distance, or Standard, triathlon. They are hugely popular events, either for beginners who are wanting to build experience in triathlons, or for regular triathletes who are wanting to keep match-fit and to aim for a speedy new PB. Aiming for finishing a sprint triathlon in under 90 minutes is a good place to start. These events are often part of bigger triathlon festivals, where other distances might be on offer, including Super-Sprint and Olympic options. This means that family members and friends can all take part in a weekend, whatever their standard or experience. Some Sprint triathlons take place in cities, and have indoor pool swims. Others require open-water swimming, and the bike and run sections take you out into the countryside.
- Sun, 27th Jun • BirminghamPrice TBC1 race: sprint and more
- Sun, 27th Jun • DartfordPrice TBC3 races: olympic, super sprint, sprint
- Sat, 3rd Jul • Windsor4.5(3 reviews)Price TBC3 races: super sprint, sprint, olympic
- Wed, 7th Jul • CapernwrayPrice TBC2 races: sprint
- Sat, 10th Jul • Worcester5(1 reviews)Price TBC2 races: olympic, sprint
- Sun, 11th Jul • Gosfield4.5(4 reviews)Price TBC2 races: sprint, olympic
- Sat, 17th Jul • WindsorPrice TBC2 races: sprint, super sprint and more
- Wed, 4th Aug • CapernwrayPrice TBC1 race: sprint
- Sun, 8th Aug • Bury Saint EdmundsPrice TBC1 race: sprint
- Wed, 1st Sep • Over Kellet5(1 reviews)Price TBC1 race: sprint
- Sun, 5th Sep • CrosshillPrice TBC1 race: sprint
- Sun, 5th Sep • ShorncotePrice TBC1 race: sprint and more
- Sun, 12th Sep • ReadingPrice TBC2 races: sprint, olympic
- Sat, 18th Sep • WindsorPrice TBC1 race: sprint and more
- Sun, 19th Sep • GlenmorePrice TBC1 race: sprint and more
Can't find what you're looking for?
We'll alert you when similar events are added to the site.
Have we missed something?
Let us know the name and we'll add it as fast as possible. We're talking Usain Bolt fast.
About Sprint Triathlons in the UK
The Sprint Triathlon consists of a 750m swim, 20k cycle and 5k run, making it the second shortest standard triathlon distance. It’s a great event for newbies to get to grips with the discipline and for the experienced to kickstart a season, making it one of the most popular triathlon categories in the UK. These shorter events can sometimes include indoor sections, especially for the swim, which means they can take place all year round.
It’s a good idea to be aware of the specific rules regarding equipment for any triathlon you enter. Depending on the conditions, different equipment can become mandatory for a race. We’ve put together a list of the essential items for any triathlon on our blog to help you get started.
What are the best Sprint Triathlons?
The Blenheim Palace Triathlon weekend is a great example of an event that focuses on the Sprint and Super-Sprint formats (in a truly stunning setting). In keeping with the regal settings, the Royal Windsor Triathlon offers both an Olympic distance and Sprint that is very well reviewed by our users.
Finally, the Deva Divas Sprint Triathlon has won much praise for its great atmosphere and route, but unlucky for the boys, as it’s women only.
What is the average time to complete a sprint triathlon?
For an amateur, especially if it’s your first time, anything under an hour and a half can be considered a good time. More experienced athletes might try to push for one hour and fifteen minutes or under. The top professionals expect to win races by coming in under the one hour mark.
How long should I train for a sprint triathlon?
Starting from scratch, but with a decent base fitness level, we’d recommend that you consider following our eight week training plan. This will help you to be as competitive as you’d like come race day. After you’ve completed a couple of these events, you might want to consider testing yourself with an Olympic Triathlon.