Get creative with this colourful costume filled 12k. Great for runners of all levels, the course follows the historic 1912 route that San Franciscans ran to help rebuild the city's moral following the 1906 earthquake. Come for the physical challenge or for the vibrant fancy dress costumes.
Consider these instead
The Bay to Breakers has been postponed until September 20 2020. Here are other races in your area:
- Oakland Running Festival30th Aug, Oakland
- Berkeley Half Marathon15th Nov, Berkeley
- Oaktown Half Marathon, 5K and Stomper's Stomp8th Aug, Oakland4.7(1)
- San Francisco Pride Run27th Jun, San Francisco
- Golden Gate 10K, UjENA 5K and DOUBLE 8K2nd Aug, San Francisco2.2(2)
- Oakland Miles of Hope Challenge25th Jun, Piedmont
"What an amazing day! My first Bay to Breakers, and despite the rain in the..."
"Be prepared for a crowed high energy run that feels more like a party than a..."
See all reviews
Bay to Breakers route
- The Bay to Breakers 12K race starts on the corner of Main Street and Howard Street.
- The route heads west through the city and finishes at the Great Highway along the Pacific Coast’s Ocean Beach.
- Runners will get the chance to run up the iconic Hayes Street Hill, along the Panhandle and through Golden Gate Park.
- The city of San Francisco turn out in force to cheer on the runners in this historic race.
Bonus runners are treated to an additional 3k along The Great Highway that runs parallel to the stunningly beautiful Ocean Beach.
View map and route info
12KStart Time: 3:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bring a bag on the course?bags allowed on the race course?
Due to heightened security procedures, bags, backpacks and containers are banned from the Alaska Airlines Bay to Breakers race course, unless they are clear and are no larger than 8.5”x11”x4”. Participants will not be allowed to enter the starting area, race course or Finish Line Festival with any bag that does not conform to these rules. Running belts and fanny packs are allowed on the race course.
Are strollers allowed on the race course?
Strollers are not permitted on the race course.
Are wheelchairs allowed on the race course?
Authorized and registered competitive wheelchair participants are encouraged to participate! Once registered, please contact [email protected] to secure proper race day access.
Is there security on the course?
There will be police officers and security guards at the start and finish as well as throughout the course.
Have a question? Get answers from our team.
Is your question about booking your place? See our Help Center
Bay to Breakers weather forecast
Partly cloudy throughout the day.
Light breeze possible, up to 7mph
Bay to Breakers reviews (2)
5 out of 5 stars