Hawaiian Falls half marathon
- Race organizers were very nice and friendly.
- Route was well marked.
- Plenty of water and snacks
- Free tickets to the waterpark
- Runners packet mailed to us beforehand, eliminating the need for packet pick up
- Laps (13 of them), rather than a circuit or even an out-and-back
- Inaccurate measurement (each lap was only 0.9 miles)
- The check-in spot for each lap required you to run about 50m off the path to get counted, making it easy to accidentally just run past and not get credit for that lap.
- Not a particularly attractive route (not that the organizers had much say in this, since it was centered around the waterpark)
- No race-specific or tech shirts, only generic Run-On cotton T-shirts (I think I may speak for all of us runners that we would have much preferred either medals or a race-specific shirt over the drawstring bag, lanyard and Run-On t-shirt)
- No winners’ or even participation medals (even though their website does say “finisher’s award”)
- They let everyone start whenever they wanted, both losing one of the big perks of a group race (the communal start), and making it hard to track finishing places.
- More than half an hour after the first runners finished, they couldn’t even give a verbal statement of each person’s placing.
- They said the water park opened at 10:00 a.m., about half an hour after the first runners finished. But it turns out that the park opens at 10:30 for those with tickets; 10:00 opening was only for those with annual memberships. So we had to wait an hour before we could get into the park.
- No restrooms. Closest was a 7-Eleven about a quarter of a mile away.