Distances in this event
- Triathlon: Swim 1.9km, Bike 90km, Run 21km
- Trail run
- Finisher’s medal
- Finisher’s t-shirt
Meet the organizer
Ironman are ranked #39 in the UK out of 478 organizers
Reasons to Race IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta. We have a new bike course. With golf courses, spas and bathing in the southern California sun, the greater palm Springs areas is a one stop shop for your ideal race-cation. This is the final event of the North American race calendar, get ready for an unforgettable year-end finale.
Other events from this organizer
- The IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta will offer 40 qualifying slots to the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Taupō, New Zealand.
- The IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta will offer 25 additional slots dedicated to the Women for Tri initiative, applied across all female age group categories.
- Course cut off times
- Food and drink available on the course
- Tech Shirt
- Sling Bag
- Finisher Medal
- Finisher Hat
- Luggage Tag
- Chip Timed
- Post-Race food
- Post-Race Massage
- Finisher Certificate
COURSE - SWIM
The one loop swim takes place in the clear waters of Lake Cahuilla. This protected reservoir provides an ideal experience for first time athletes with a sandy beach start. The swim will feature a rolling start.
What kind of start does this race have?
IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta will feature a rolling start.
What is the expected water temperature?
The water temperature averages between 55 F to low 60s F in December at Lake Cahuilla. The average air temperature on race day is 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
What are the wetsuit restrictions?
Wetsuits cannot measure more than 5 mm thick.
Wetsuits are permitted if the water temperature is up to (and including) 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) or colder.
Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius).
Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures 76.2 degrees Farhrenheit (24.55 degrees Celsius) and up to 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.77 degrees Celsius) will not be eligible for Age Group awards, including World Championship or Rolldown slots.
Full wetsuits are permitted (arms and legs covered).
The De Soto Water Rover and the Speedo Elite Triathlon Wetsuit with forearm flaps wetsuits are PROHIBITED.
Athletes should contact the wetsuit manufacturer directly to confirm whether their suit is legal.
Race Officials will be monitoring athletes on race morning to enforce wetsuit restrictions.
If wetsuits are prohibited, what are the swimwear restrictions?
Swimwear (Skinsuits/Speedsuits) must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding. Simply put, this would generally refer to suits made only from nylon or Lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor extend past the knees. Swimwear may contain a zipper. A race kit may be worn underneath swimwear.
In the event of a non-wetsuit swim, am I allowed to wear my compression gear?
Yes, provided that it is made of 100% textile material (no rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene) and that material does not extend past the elbows or knees. Any compression wear that extends past the elbows or knees will not be permitted in non-wetsuit swims (this includes compression sleeves, compression socks, or compression tights).
Are snorkels permitted?
Beginning in 2017 snorkels will not be allowed under any circumstance for any IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 event.
What should I do if I am having a problem in the water?
If you are struggling and decide that you require assistance do your best to remain calm, raise your hand high into the air/shout to get the attention of the support boats and move to the outside of the course if you are able. You can hold on to a boat without being disqualified as long as the boat does not provide propulsion. There will also be resting rafts available throughout the course.
COURSE - BIKE
Are disc wheels permitted?
Yes. However, race organizers reserve the right to restrict use depending on conditions.
How frequent are the distance markers on the Bike Course?
The Bike Course will have a distance marker every 5 miles. They will be in miles ONLY so if you are used to kilometers please accustom yourself to the conversion.
COURSE - RUN
The two loop run course leaves the Indian Wells Tennis Gardens area while traversing over to the Indian Wells Golf Resort. Much of the course winds around the lush course on the cart path before returning to the Tennis Gardens between each lap and again at the finish. The design of this course allows for fantastic spectator viewing at multiple points along the course.
How frequent are the distance markers?
The Run Course will have a distance marker every 1 mile. They will be in miles ONLY so if you are used to kilometers please accustom yourself to the conversion.
- 10 AM - 6 PM: Athlete Check-In at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 10 AM - 6 PM: Official IRONMAN Store at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 10 AM - 6 PM: IRONMAN Village at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 10 AM - 6 PM: Information Tent at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 10 AM - 6 PM: VIP Spectator Credential Pick-Up at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 10 AM - 6 PM: PLAYTRI Triathlon Store & Tech Service Center at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 12 PM: Athlete Briefing at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 3 PM: Athlete Briefing at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 6 PM: Movie Night Presenting- 2018 IRONMAN World Championship Broadcast NBC Special at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 3 PM: Athlete Check-In at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 5 PM: Official IRONMAN Store at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 5 PM: IRONMAN Village at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 5 PM: Information Tent at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 5 PM: VIP Spectator Credential Pick-Up at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 5 PM: PLAYTRI Triathlon Store & Tech Service Center at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 10 AM - 5 PM: Mandatory Run Gear Check-In at Indian Wells Tennis Garden (T2)
- 10 AM - 1:30 PM: Mandatory Bike, Bike Gear Bag Check-In and Wetsuit Decontamination Protocol for Athletes Last Name A – M at Lake Cahuilla (T1)
- 11 AM: Athlete Briefing Indian Wells at Tennis Garden
- 1:30 PM - 5 PM: Mandatory Bike, Bike Gear Bag Check-In and Wetsuit Decontamination Protocol for Athletes Last Name N – Z at Lake Cahuilla (T1)
- 12 PM: New Triathlete Athlete Briefing at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 1 PM: Pro Athlete Panel at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 2 PM: Athlete Briefing at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 4:15 AM - 5:40 AM: Athlete and Spectator Shuttle Bus Service(No bikes allowed) at Indian Wells Tennis Garden (Athlete Parking Lot)
- 4:45 AM - 6:30 AM: Transition Opens; Body Marking at Lake Cahuilla (T1)
- 7 AM: Pro Men Race Start at Lake Cahuilla
- 7:02 AM: Pro Women Race Start at Lake Cahuilla
- 7:10 AM: Age Group Rolling Start at Lake Cahuilla
- 9 AM - 4 PM: IRONMAN Village at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 4 PM: Official IRONMAN Store at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 9 AM - 4 PM: Information Tent/Lost & Found at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 11 AM - 4 PM: Post-Race Athlete Food at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 1 PM - 4 PM: Mandatory Bike & Gear Check-Out at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- 4 PM: Awards Ceremony & 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Slot Allocation/Rolldown Ceremony at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
The design of this course allows for fantastic spectator viewing at multiple points along the course.
TRAFFIC INFORMATION:Spectators who plan on watching the swim portion at Lake Cahuilla will be need to take the mandatory athlete and spectator shuttles. If spectators do not wish to see the swim, spectators can drive directly to the Indian Wells Tennis Gardens. Spectators will be allowed in the Indian Wells Tennis Garden’s starting at 8AM. Spectators must enter the Indian Wells La Quinta from Miles Avenue from Northbound Washington St ONLY. Spectators can not enter the Indian Wells Tennis Garden from the North or West.
Where is the best place to watch IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta?
HOW DO I TRACK MY ATHLETE: The tracking is ONLY available on race day. Please visit ironman.com and click on ‘Live Coverage’ at the top of the page and select the correct race. Select ‘Athlete Tracker’ and you can search by bib number or last name.
Will I be allowed to cross the finish line with my athlete?
Friends and/or family members are not permitted to cross the finish line or enter the finish chute with participating athletes. This policy allows each competitor adequate time to celebrate their accomplishment without interfering with other finishers and ensure the safety of all participants, volunteers and fans. Athletes who choose not to respect the policy will receive an automatic disqualification (DQ).
Will I be allowed into the finish area to greet my athlete?
Unfortunately, due to high congestion in the finish line area, no spectators will be allowed. Please do not try to gain access to this area, as it must remain clear for the safety of the athletes. Before the event, you and your athlete should decide on a meeting place for after they have finished.
Will I be allowed into the medical tent if my athlete has been admitted?
The Medical Tent is highly congested and spectators will not be allowed in. There will be a Medical Information Tent next to the Medical Tent where medical updates will be available on athletes who enter the Medical Tent.
Will I be permitted to take my vehicle on the course to follow my athlete?
No, for safety reasons we ask that you do not attempt to follow your athlete by car. The best place to watch your athlete is in the transition area and the finish line. Any vehicular traffic on the race course should expect long delays. Please do not attempt to gain access to the race course with your vehicle. We want to keep the course as safe as possible for the athletes.
Will there be live online tracking and results on race day?
Yes, during the event there will be live race day coverage including athlete tracking and up-to-date race results.
The tracking is ONLY available on race day. You can go to ironman.com and click on ‘Live Coverage’ at the top of the page and select the correct race. Select ‘Athlete Tracker’ and you can search by bib number or last name.
REGISTRATION - General
- Athletes who register after October 22, 2019 will not have race materials personalized (name on merchandise apparel and name on race bib). Athletes will also not be assigned a bib number until Athlete Check-In.
- Pricing is inventory-based according to slot quantities and will automatically increase when capacity has been filled.
- USAT one-day fees will be $15.00 and annual memberships will be $50.00.
- Please allow approximately 30 days for your registration to appear in your IRONMAN Account
- This event offers qualifying slots to the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship.
Is there a waiting list for this event once it is sold out?
No, we do not offer a waiting list.
Do I need to qualify, validate or confirm my entry by completing another event?
No, competitors do not need to qualify or validate to enter IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta. However, we do suggest competing in a shorter distance triathlon event before race day.
What categories are offered?
Professional, Age Group, and Physically Challenged Open Division.
How do I determine whether I should race as an age-grouper or a professional?
Professionals must hold a valid professional/elite card or a letter from their country’s federation. For more information on IRONMAN pro membership, please log onto www.ironmanpromembership.com. You must declare your status to race in that division. Otherwise you will be in the Age Group category determined by your birth date.
What Age Group will I race in on Race Day?
All qualifying events will implement both the International Triathlon Federation and USA Triathlon's Age Group Competition rule: All Age Group athletes must complete in their Age Group division corresponding to the athlete's age on December 31st of the year of the event.
What are the Age Requirements?
All athletes must be a minimum of 18 years of age as of race day for the event year to compete in IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta.
What is the Age Group breakdown?
Can I give or sell my slot to another person if I cannot race?
No, athletes cannot switch or gift their slot to another person should that athlete be unable to compete. Per USAT regulations, competing in a sanctioned event without properly registering and paying for your entry is strictly prohibited, which includes both selling an entry to another party or purchasing an entry through a third part.
REGISTRATION - Athlete check-in
When and where is Athlete Check-In?
Athlete Check-In location and hours can be found in the Event Schedule.
Can a family member/friend check-in for me and pick-up my race packet?
No - only registered athletes are allowed into Athlete Check-In. You will be required to verify your medical information and sign your event waivers. Please bring your photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) during the designated check-in hours. All athletes MUST check-in during designated hours. NO EXCEPTIONS!
What if I cannot make it to Athlete Check-In within the designated hours?
You must check in and pick up your race packet during designated check-in hours.
This rule is in effect for a number of important reasons and exists to make your experience the best, safest and most stress-free it can be. The scheduling of Athlete Check-In is designed to allow each athlete the opportunity to become oriented with the venue, acclimated to the area and receive all the necessary information needed to have a successful race. We want to ensure the very best experience for you, not only on race day, but throughout the weekend’s activities. By posting the Athlete Check-In hours months in advance, we try to make sure that everyone has ample time to prepare for the activities of race week. Please make your travel plans accordingly.
YOUR RACE PACKET WILL INCLUDE:• Race bib- to be worn on the run
• Bike/Helmet stickers
• Swim cap
• Bike Check-Out ticket
• Athlete wristband- must be attached at time of check-in and
worn until after the race is complete. All previous wristbands
must be removed
• Morning Clothes Bag, Bike Gear Bag, Run Gear Bag
*You will pick up your timing chip before leaving the Athlete Check-In
You will receive the following stickers in your athlete packet:
• Bike frame sticker
• Helmet sticker
• Bike stem sticker
• 5 extra gear bag stickers to label belongings (if applicable)
Make sure the frame sticker is visible on both sides of your bike.
The bike frame sticker cannot be altered in any fashion and the race
logo MUST be visible. The helmet sticker will be affixed to the front
of your helmet, and the bike stem sticker will be placed in between
handlebars. Athletes will not be permitted to have any other stickers
on their bikes other than the bike frame sticker issued at Athlete
Check-In. Any previous event stickers on the bike must be removed.
We recommend you label your gear bags with a permanent marker in
addition to using the gear bag stickers.
COURSE - General
What are the course cut-off times?
Swim: Each wave will have 1:10 to complete the swim. Athletes who take longer than 1:10 to complete the swim will receive a DNF. Additionally, any athlete that starts in the final wave and misses the 1:10 cut off will not be allowed to continue on in the race and will receive a DNF.
Bike: 5 hours and 30 minutes after the final wave start.
Run: 8 hours and 30 minutes after the final wave start.
Total Time Cut-off: The race will officially end 8 hours and 30 minutes after the final wave. Each athlete will have 8 hours and 30 minutes to complete the race. Any athlete that takes longer than 8 hours and 30 minutes to complete the race will receive a DNF and will not be eligible for age group awards and will not be eligible for IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship slots. Additionally, athletes that are in an earlier wave and finish before the final course cut-off but take longer than 8 hours and 30 minutes to complete the race will receive a DNF and will not be eligible for IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Slots.
Relays: The race will officially end 8 hours and 30 minutes after the final wave. Each athlete and relay team will have 8 hours and 30 minutes to complete the race. Any athlete or relay team that takes longer than 8 hours and 30 minutes to complete the race will receive a DNF and will not be eligible for awards.
What nutrition will be available on course?
Bike course aid stations will offer the following:
- Gatorade Endurance
- Red Bull (one aid station)
- GU ROCTANE Energy Gels
- BASE Performance Bars
There will be aid stations approximately every mile on the run course offering:
- Gatorade Endurance
- Chicken Broth (after dark)
- Base Salt (location to be determined)
- Red Bull
- GU ROCTANE Energy Gels
- BASE Performance Bars
Can I bring communication or music devices on the course?
Absolutely NO communication devices, MP3 players, speakers, or any other devices (Yes, that means NO cell phones).
Ironman 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta reviews
There are no reviews for this event yet. Raced here before? Be the first to review this event.
How was Ironman 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta?
Questions & answers
Get answers from our team or a member of our dedicated community.