Located a short ride from Lake Tahoe, this epic venue was once host to the 1960 Olympic Winter Games. Join us today for the greatest obstacle course race in North Lake Tahoe.
The Village at Squaw Valley is a year-round destination in the heart of Squaw Valley, located in North Lake Tahoe. This European-inspired Village features over 40 bars, restaurants, galleries and boutiques, including a yoga studio and day spa. Condominium style suites are conveniently located for access to four season adventure including Aerial Tram rides to High Camp at 8200 feet, overlooking Lake Tahoe. Visit www.squawalpine.com to learn more.
The obstacle racing weekend of the year will feature three Spartan Race distances to choose from over two days of racing: The Spartan Beast, Spartan Ultra and Spartan Trail. Which challenge are you ready to accept?
To do well, runners will need to prepare for the thin air as heights reach over 9,000 feet of elevation. Lake Tahoe is one of Northern California’s premier destinations and draws a healthy crowd year-round for its spectacular skiing, water sports, and outdoor activities. With 72 miles of shoreline straddling the California-Nevada state line, there’s always somewhere new to explore and plenty of terrain for Spartans to roam. The most popular areas to visit include the more nature-oriented North Tahoe, or the party scene of South Tahoe. Or you can do it all -- visitors have the potential travel around the lake in under 90 minutes.
Spartans are in for an adventure filled with traverses, climbs, crawls and perhaps even some swims. Come prepared.
TOP REASONS TO TAKE ON THIS COURSE:
1. Elevation is one of the most defining elements of the Tahoe venue, starting at a surface elevation of 6,224 feet and working upwards of 9,000 feet only means one thing: get those lungs and quads ready for the long haul.
2. Cozy cabins are a plenty. Just make sure you book one early so you can be as close to all the action as possible.
3. Grover Hot Springs: Drive South to Markleeville and soak in a natural thermal hot springs. Your leg muscles will thank us for this recommendation.
4. Kayak to Fannette Island: The small island in Emerald Bay is the only island in Lake Tahoe and is worth a kayak trip. At the top is the remnant of an old “tea house.”
5. Bike the 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail or at least part of it for extended adventure off the course. Chances are you'll only want to bike a section of the route as part of your active recovery.
6. Take to the skies and launch out from Slide Mountain on a powered hang glider. The view of Tahoe is hard to beat and you get to wear a "stylish" blue jumpsuit.
How to enter the Spartan Race - North Lake Tahoe - World Championship
- Run 30mi
- Run 12mi
- Run 2mi
Spartan Race - North Lake Tahoe - World Championship routes
The Ultra is the first race of its kind to bring the best of OCR and ultra-endurance sports together. If you’re a traditional ultra-endurance sports fan, you will love the Ultra.
12+ Miles & 30-35 Obstacles (Beast Distance):
If you’re looking to unleash your inner beast and go to places you never imaged, the Spartan Beast is perfect for you. With 12-14 miles and 30-35 obstacles between you and the finish line, the Spartan Beast will test everything you’re made of your strength, your endurance, your resolve. The unpredictable terrain and Spartan Obstacles are masterfully designed to push you deep into your discomfort zone, and well past those self-imposed obstacles you once considered your limits. Beast mode: on
Spartan Race isn't just for adults. Our Spartan Kids Race offers two distances for the little Spartans in your life. Based on age, our Kids races have obstacles in them just like the grown up versions. Come watch your future Spartans run, jump, and play just like they're supposed to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is your question about booking your place? See our Help Center
Spartan Race - North Lake Tahoe - World Championship weather forecast
Rain (with a chance of 1–2 in. of snow) starting in the afternoon.
Meet the organizer
Spartan Race - North Lake Tahoe - World Championship reviews
There are no reviews for this event yet. Raced here before? Be the first to review this event.
How was Spartan Race - North Lake Tahoe - World Championship?
You may also like
- Spartan Race - NORTH LAKE TAHOE ULTRA AND BEAST WEEKEND26th Sep, Kings Beach
- Spartan Race – Sacramento - Super & Sprint Weekend20th Nov, Rancho Murieta3(4)
- Rugged Maniac - Sacramento17th Oct, Rancho Murieta
- Spartan Race - Oracle Park - Stadion5th Dec, San Francisco
- Spartan Race – Monterey7th Nov, Salinas
- Spartan Race - San Luis Obispo - Ultra, Beast & Super14th Nov, Santa Margarita