Run, walk, or roll a 5K any way you want! You choose the time, the views, and the surface. You can get up early and run along the Harborwalk in South Boston, go out on your lunch break and jog or walk the sidewalks in your neighborhood, or get on your treadmill as the sun is setting and crank out 3.1 miles while you binge your favorite show.
You do not have to be local to participate — challenge your friends and family wherever they might be.
When you finish the run, submit your finisher's photo (unique to each race) and the screenshot/url link of your time. You will have 48 hours to complete and submit your results back to this page.
Registration is $20, and all proceeds will benefit Boston Harbor Now in our efforts to provide access to Boston Harbor and islands for underserved communities across the Boston area.
- Printable bib
- Certificate of Completion
- A ferry ticket to visit the Harbor Islands in the future
- A free lunch voucher from Boloco
- Virtual race bag with goodies from our sponsors
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
- Massachusetts residents are required to wear a cloth face covering in public places, including while exercising
- Stay at least six feet away from other people -Do not congregate in groups -Participate only in non-contact recreational activities
- Wash hands, use hand sanitizer, and cover coughs and sneezes
- Stay home if you feel sick and/or are part of a vulnerable population
- Respect all closures (playgrounds, exercise course, ball fields)
- As always, please be kind and share the pathways
- Always pass to the left, keeping at least six feet of distance
- If you are not able to pass with recommended distance, please wait
- If space is constricted, please yield to others and walk in single file when passing
- Keep to manageable speeds and stay right to allow others to pass
- Per park rules, dogs must be on leashes (Yes, even the good dogs)
OPTIONAL 5K ROUTES ON BOSTON HARBOUR
South Boston - Route 1 (out and back) - https://onthegomap.com/s/m2abavgd
South Boston - Route 2 - https://onthegomap.com/s/sr4ka5si
Downtown Route - https://onthegomap.com/s/1mak4e6l
Charlestown Route - https://onthegomap.com/s/iettkcju
East Boston Route - https://onthegomap.com/s/fn0ujtcc
How to enter the Spectacle Island Virtual 5K
Once you register, you'll need to finish the distance in any interval or pace within the completion timeframe designated for your Virtual Event.
- Run 5kmBooked 15 times this week
How to complete a Virtual Event
Participating in a virtual event means you can complete the distance at any time within the event timeframe in a location of your choice.
Here's what you need to do:
Preparing your virtual event
- Secure your virtual spot in the event by booking your ticket
- Plan your ideal routeMake sure the route is at least the event length and as traffic free as possible
- Download a distance tracking app
- Ensure your phone and/or GPS watch is fully charged
During your event
- Record your activity on a tracker and take a screenshotThis can be either a phone or a GPS watch.
- Complete your activity in the designated event completion timeframe
- Make sure you go the event distanceBut don't worry if you go a bit further, we'll calculate your finish time.
- Take a Finisher's Photo to share with your fellow finishers
Submitting your result
- Head back to this event page to submit your resultsMake sure to submit your results within the event completion timeframe
- Upload a screenshot of your activity tracker or GPS watch to verify your resultsYou can still participate and submit results without this, but we won't be able to verify your results.
- Provide your finish time and overall distanceIf you run further than the race distance, we'll adjust your time down to the correct distance based on your pace.
- Share your Finisher's Photo on the Finish Line galleryGet featured on our Finish Line where you can celebrate your achievement and inspire others to get active.
Frequently asked questions
For more advice about virtual events, see our Virtual Event Handbook here.