Our series will have 4 races throughout the summer, and our kick-off race starts off the series with a virtual 5K. Each week we will be looking for the best finish line pictures for the week, each with a different theme:
1. Kick-Off 5K Race: We’ll be looking for finish line pictures that show off your ‘kicks’ (aka shoes). Most creative shots will be entered to win the “Best Kicks” medal.
2. Summer Fun 5K: We want to see your pictures from the race in your most ‘Summer Fun’ outfit. The best ‘Summer Fun’ medal goes to that runner that went over the top to have fun with their race outfit!
3. Heat of Summer 5K: What’s your (non-alcoholic) drink of choice to cool off in the Heat of Summer? Once you cross the finish line, show off your hydration method in your finish line photo. The best photo will win the “Heat of Summer” medal.
4. Finish Strong 5K: It’s time to show off how strong you are at the finish line. Let’s see you flex in your finish line pictures. Best display of strength will earn the “Finish Strong” medal.
Join two or more of the four races in the Summer Race to be Drug Free DDR 5K Series to be entered to win a Cabela’s gift card.
Show off your healthy, drug-free racing lifestyle all summer long by entering all 4 races in the series to earn the Ultimate Summer Race to be Drug Free DDR 5K Series gift set. (Must upload a finish line picture for each race to qualify.)
The race as a fundraiser for our Pearl Harbor 2020 trip:
Many of the in-person fundraising efforts we were planning for our Regiment (December 2020) Pearl Harbor trip have been halted due to the current pandemic. Therefore, we came up with a plan to combine one of our primary program focuses with a fun summer virtual race series to spread the healthy, drug-free message across communities while also raising funds for our upcoming trip.
The Colorado Regiment Young Marines: boys and girls 10 to high school graduation, have an opportunity to attend the 79th Anniversary of The Attack on Pearl Harbor in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. We have come together with several units in our regiment to attend as one group. Overall, our goal is to pay tribute to the veterans of Pearl Harbor. In order to represent our community at the 79th Anniversary of The Attack on Pearl Harbor we must raise $1,200 per person to fund the trip for the seventy ($84,000) attendees traveling with our Regiment. The money is necessary to cover transportation, accommodations, activities and food.
While we look forward to our December trip, we understand paying tribute may look a bit different this year depending on any location restrictions. Given that, the Regiment still feels it is important to continue our trip this year to give the Young Marines first-hand exposure to where it all began. We will also explore additional Hawaiian culture, additional World War II history and bond with other Young Marines from around the country.
Please note we have many contingencies in place to ensure this trip will remain educational, worthwhile, and safe for all attendees to go this year. If circumstances change that would prevent us from going, the trip will be re-scheduled to December 2021 and all monies collected will remain set aside for that trip.
About the Young Marines:
The Young Marines is a national youth leadership program with the mission of positively impacting America's future by providing quality youth development programs for boys and girls; ages 8 through completion of high school, that nurtures and develops its members into responsible citizens who enjoy and promote a healthy, drug-free lifestyle. Young Marines teaches leadership, teamwork, and discipline and prides itself on being active in the community and in taking part in honoring veterans as much as possible. The Colorado Regiment is made up of two Young Marines Battalions and seven units across Colorado and Wyoming.
Choose your event
How to complete a Virtual Event
Participating in a virtual event means you can complete the distance at any time within the event timeframe in a location of your choice.
Here's what you need to do:
Preparing your virtual event
- Secure your virtual spot in the event by booking your ticket
- Plan your ideal routeMake sure the route is at least the event length and as traffic free as possible
- Download a distance tracking app
- Ensure your phone and/or GPS watch is fully charged
During your event
- Record your activity on a tracker and take a screenshotThis can be either a phone or a GPS watch.
- Complete your activity in the designated event completion timeframe
- Make sure you go the event distanceBut don't worry if you go a bit further, we'll calculate your finish time.
- Take a Finisher's Photo to share with your fellow finishers
Submitting your result
- Head back to this event page to submit your resultsMake sure to submit your results within the event completion timeframe
- Upload a screenshot of your activity tracker or GPS watch to verify your resultsYou can still participate and submit results without this, but we won't be able to verify your results.
- Provide your finish time and overall distanceIf you go further than the race distance, we'll adjust your time down to the correct distance based on your pace.
- Share your Finisher's Photo on the Finish Line galleryGet featured on our Finish Line where you can celebrate your achievement and inspire others to get active.
Frequently asked questions
For more advice about virtual events, see our Virtual Event Handbook here.