Super Sprint Triathlons
The Super-Sprint distance, sometimes called the Mini Triathlon, is a multisport event, consisting of a 400m swim, a 10km bike, and a 2.5km run. It is the shortest standard triathlon distance, and is most popular with those who are new to the multidiscipline format of triathlon or for children wanting keep energised. It is a great way of understanding what race day is like, practising transitions, and having a fun time while doing it. Super-Sprints are often part of bigger triathlon events, where longer distances are on offer, so it is also an opportunity for friends and family to get involved rather than just spectating. Another exciting option is joining a super-sprint relay team: these fast-paced events are a great activity to do with a group of friends or you can compete as a family. These races always mix competitive spirit with an entertaining, friendly atmosphere. Many of these events hold the swim section indoors, so they can be held throughout the year. This makes it a great way for regular triathletes to stay sharp during the off-season.
- PartnerSun, 12th Sep • Hemingford Grey£63 – £691 race: super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerMon, 2nd May 2022 • Winchester£29.99 – £49.992 races: super sprint, sprint and moreCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 26th Jun 2022 • Cardiff5(1 reviews)£70.99 – £105.993 races: olympic, sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerWed, 7th Jul • Dorney£55 – £652 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerWed, 4th Aug • Dorney£55 – £652 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSat, 25th Sep • Windsor£45 – £833 races: super sprint, sprint, olympicCovid Plan
- PartnerSat, 10th Jul • Bournemouth£42 – £552 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 25th Jul • Bedford£162 – £1771 race: super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 1st Aug • Windsor£55 – £753 races: olympic, sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSat, 7th Aug • Bournemouth£42 – £552 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSat, 4th Sep • Dorney3.5(8 reviews)£20 – £3510 races: half marathon, 10k, 5k, olympic, sprint, super sprint and moreCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 5th Sep • Windsor£15 – £754 races: super sprint, sprint, 5kCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 26th Sep • Dawlish Warren£39 – £492 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 10th Oct • Paignton£19 – £512 races: sprint, super sprint and moreCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 15th May 2022 • Exmouth£19 – £512 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 4th Jul • Hitchin£452 races: sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerSun, 4th Jul • Paignton4.5(2 reviews)£28 – £593 races: olympic, sprint, super sprintCovid Plan
- PartnerFri, 3rd Sep • Hitchin£201 race: super sprintCovid Plan
- Sat, 3rd Jul • Hever Castle4(1 reviews)£40 – £4508 races: ultramarathon, super sprint, half ironman, marathon, half marathon, 5kCovid Plan
- Sat, 24th Jul • Castle Howard£27 – £2707 races: sprint, super sprint, half ironman, olympic, marathon, half marathon, 10k and moreCovid Plan
- Sat, 11th Sep • Gort£30 – £2707 races: sprint, super sprint, half ironman, olympic, marathon, half marathon, 10k and moreCovid Plan
- Sat, 25th Sep • Hever4.5(4 reviews)£30 – £2708 races: sprint, super sprint, half ironman, olympic, marathon, 5k, 10k, half marathon and moreCovid Plan
- Sun, 11th Jul • Cirencester4.5(1 reviews)Price TBC1 race: super sprint
- Sun, 19th Sep • Windsor5(1 reviews)Price TBC3 races: olympic, sprint, super sprint and more
About Super-Sprint Triathlons in the UK
The Super-Sprint (or Mini Triathlon) is the shortest format recognised by the ITU. It's a great entry level event and they can be completed with very little training. As standard, Super-Sprint Triathlons start with a 400m swim, followed by a 10k bike ride and 2.5k run. These races are often seen as catalysts for athletes to graduate to longer form contests. For example, the Outlaw Triathlon (Full Distance) has its own Mini Triathlon called Future Outlaw, with the aim of inspiring and building a roadmap for newbies to go long.
As for all triathlons, you’ll need equipment to compete, much of this is common sense but make sure to read up on any specific race requirements your event may have. A wet suit is one to watch out for. See our blog post on the essential items for any triathlon have you prepared for any race.
What are the best Super-Sprint Triathlons?
These events are designed to let you try out the discipline and have a little fun. The stand out events in the Super-Sprint calendar are often a part of a larger triathlons, aiming to allow participants to get a feel for the atmosphere of the big name races.
What is the average time to complete a super-sprint triathlon?
A well practiced amateur competitor would expect to finish in under an hour. Anywhere around that mark can be considered a solid time.
How long should I train for a super-sprint triathlon?
Most people with a decent base level of fitness should not struggle to finish with any of the distances in here with little specific training. However, if you want to post a good time then training will always help. If you’ve already been training regularly in any of the disciplines then you might want to start out by trying a Sprint Triathlon instead.