2XU Malibu Triathlon
1 / 11
Tickets on organiser’s site
The 2XU Malibu Triathlon offers Olympic and Classic distance triathlons suitable for all abilities. Whether you're a first-timer, veteran, or even a celebrity you will surely have an experience of a lifetime. Take a dive into the competition, and raise funds for Pediatric cancer research.
Classic Distance, and Olympic Distance
Sat, Sep 17, 2022 - Sun, Sep 18, 2022
Malibu, United States
The event experience
Based on 5,100 participants
Based on location
Invite friends, earn credit
After booking your event, invite your friends to join you and you'll get £10 credit if they make it their first Let's Do This booking.
Where and when
Zuma Beach, Zuma Beach, Malibu, CA 90265, USA
Sat, Sep 17, 2022
Sun, Sep 18, 2022
Here's what races are available for 2XU Malibu Triathlon
Feel the sand between your toes as your race towards the Pacific Ocean swim start. Dive in and swim 1.5k before sprinting up the beach to the bike transition. Once on the bike, there will be a 40k out-and-back ride along the Pacific Coast Highway before a final 10k out-and bike along Zuma Beach. This race will be challenging for all who take part. As you race, take in the awe-inspiring atmosphere from the supports and embrace the panoramic vistas of the Malibu coastline.
If you're new to Triathlons, the classic course is perfect for all ability levels. This race has a 0.5-mile swim, before a snappy 17-mile out-and-back ride, before a final 4-mile out-and-back along the beautiful shores of Zuma Beach. Take in the spectacular mountain views and panoramas of the Pacific ocean.
- Finisher's Medal
- Swim Cap
- Chip-timed results
- Bike Number
- Aid stations
2019 Finisher's Medal
How to get there
Zuma Beach, Zuma Beach, Malibu, CA 90265, USAGet full directions
- Participants can park at Zuma Beach, Malibu CA.
- Spectators must park at Malibu High School - 30216 Morning View Dr., or at Point Dume.
Both places are within walking distance from the start line.
Event day logistics
5:00am Latest participant arrival
7:00am Individual Olympic Distance and Relay Team start
8:50am Swim finish cut-off time
9:00am Bike start cut-off time
10:00am Bike turnaround cut-off time
10:55am Bike finish cut-off time
11:05am Run start cut-off time
11:00am Awards ceremony
5:00am Latest participant arrival
7:00am Individual Classic Distance and Relay Team start
9:05am Swim finish cut-off time
10:45am Bike finish cut-off time
10:55am Run start cut-off time
11:00am Awards Ceremony
Your race packet will be available for pickup closer prior to the date of the event (location TBC). You will need to bring ID and USAT membership with you (if you have one). You must collect your race pack in person.
You will need to get your body marked prior to the race, this can be done at early packet pickup or on the event day near registration.
There will be start waves at this event. Please adhere to the start wave schedule that will be posted closer to the event weekend. Start waves will be determined by your age group (in 5-year increments).
There will be a transition close time that everyone will have to be set up by before the event starts. An event schedule will be posted closer to the start date of the event.
Entrants must be 14 years or older to participate.
There will be aid stations on the course providing water and electrolytes.
Ocean swimming training
For those who are nervous about ocean swimming, you attend a Merrill Lynch Fundraising Swim Clinic if you raise over $350 for CHLA.
- Wearing swim goggles or a face mask is recommended, but optional
- No fins, paddles, or flotation devices of any kind allowed
- Timing Chips must be properly affixed on your ankle
- Swimmers are required to stay on course, swim clockwise, and keep turn buoys on their right. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- If you require assistance in the swim, you may hold on to any kayak as long as you do not make forward progress.
- A swimmer experiencing difficulty and in need of assistance shall raise an arm overhead, pump it up and down, and call or seek assistance.
- No swimmer shall return to the race if the official rendering assistance requests that the participant withdraw from the race or receive medical assistance.
- Each swimmer must wear the colored swim cap provided by race management
- Absolutely no drafting of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed
- Ride on the right side of your lane unless directed otherwise by race management/officials
- Keep three bike lengths between yourself and the cyclist in front of you
- Pass on the left of the cyclist in front, never on the right
- Complete your pass within 15 seconds
- If passed, you must drop completely out of the zone, to the rear, before attempting to re-pass
- All bicycles shall be propelled only by human force and human power. Any violation of this section shall result in disqualification
- The sole responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed cycling course rests with each participant.
- Athletes must obey all traffic laws while on the cycling course unless otherwise specifically directed by an official, race monitor, or designee with actual authority
- No athlete shall endanger himself or another athlete. Athletes who intentionally present a danger to any athlete or who, in the judgment of the Head Referee, appear to present a danger to any athlete may be disqualified
- Do not litter
- Headphones or headsets which are inserted in or covering the ears are not allowed during any portion of the event
- Numbers clearly visible at all times
- Numbers may not be cut or folded or altered in any way
- Numbers designated to other athletes make not be used
- Audio players are not to be carried or worn at any time during the race: earbuds, headphones, headsets, walkmans, ipods, mp3 players, any personal audio devices
Super League Triathlon
View more Super League Triathlon events
SUPER LEAGUE TRIATHLON IS THE GAME-CHANGER. THIS IS NOT TRADITIONAL, SWIM BIKE AND RUN. Super League Triathlon features action-packed racing formats in dramatic locations and fan-friendly courses across Asia-Pacific and the Gulf. We’re committed to setting the gold standard experience for age groupers, professional athletes, and fans alike.
There are plenty of places for spectators to get up close and personal with the actions. There are bleachers located at lifeguard tower 10, behind the transition areas.
There will also be bleachers at the finish line as well. If you are going to watch the bikers along the Pacific Coast Highway or on the Run Course, be mindful of participants and stay behind the barricades.
Spectators should park at Malibu High School at 30215 Morning View Dr., or at Point Dume.
What to bring
Wetsuits are not mandatory at the Malibu Tri, however, most people choose to race in them. The water temperature will be between 62-66 degrees.
Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit.
When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards.
Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
Athletes riding without an approved helmet or chinstrap not fastened may be disqualified. Alterations to a hard-shell helmet, which affect its integrity, are not allowed
Bike Rental (TBC)
Due to the pandemic, there is currently a global shortage of bicycles. Hopefully, by the event date, there will be a sufficient amount of bicycles available to rent, this is to be confirmed.
I am nervous about the ocean swim at the 2XU Malibu Triathlon, will there be any ocean swimming training?
Yes, there will be some ocean swimming course prior to the event, available for participants who raise over $350 for Children's Hospital LA.
What time do I have to arrive at the 2XU Malibu Triathlon?
Participants must arrive at the 2XU Malibu Triathlon before 5:00am on race day, in order to allow plenty of time for you to set up your transition area and get ready to race.
What celebrities will be racing at the 2XU Malibu Triathlon?
There have been many past celebrity participants from Tom Cruise to Jennifer Lopez, this year who knows will be competiting! Come along to cheer on your favorite celebrities.
What is the 2XU Malibu Triathlon in aid of?
The 2XU Malibu Triathlon raises funds for pediatric cancer research at the Children's Hospital Los Angeles, this event has raised over $16 million and continues to raise more. Come to help raise funds for such an important cause.
Who sponsors the 2XU Malibu Triathlon?
2XU is the apparel partner for the Malibu Triathlon, Men's health is the official media partner with Newbury Park Bike Shop, and Giant is the official bicycle sector of the triathlon. Base performance and Qure Water will be the official hydration and water partners.
This event currently has no reviews, why not be the first? You could help someone find their perfect event.
What time does the 10K start on September 14th
Hi there. Thanks for getting in touch. The 10k run is part of the Olympic Distance Triathlon course. The First Wave will start the swim at 7:10am and the Final Wave at 7:45am. The cut-off time to start the run is 11:10am! :)
Tickets on organiser’s site