- Edinburgh Marathon Festival23MAY2020
Edinburgh Marathon FestivalRunning ‧ Edinburgh26.2 mi • 13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£10 - £40
- St Albans Half Marathon14JUN2020
St Albans Half MarathonRunning ‧ St Albans13.1 mi • 3.1 mi • 1.5 miFree - £32
- Simplyhealth Great South Run17OCT2020
Simplyhealth Great South RunRunning ‧ Portsmouth10.0 mi • 3.1 mi • 1.6 mi • 0.9 mi£15 - £22
- Milton Keynes Marathon Weekend3MAY2020
Milton Keynes Marathon WeekendRunning ‧ Milton Keynes26.2 mi • 13.1 mi • 3.1 mi • 1.5 mi£9 - £52
- Farnborough Winter Half Marathon & 5k Fun Run26JAN2020
Farnborough Winter Half Marathon & 5k Fun RunRunning ‧ Farnborough13.1 mi • 3.1 mi • 0.5 miFree - £35
- MK Half Marathon & Festival of Running15MAR2020
MK Half Marathon & Festival of RunningRunning ‧ Milton Keynes20.0 mi • 13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 miFree - £48
- Surrey Half Marathon8MAR2020
Surrey Half MarathonRunning ‧ Woking13.1 mi • 3.1 mi • 1.2 mi£12 - £45
- Richmond Runfest Half Marathon, Marathon, and 10K12SEP2020
Richmond Runfest Half Marathon, Marathon, and 10KRunning ‧ London26.2 mi • 13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi • 1.0 miFree - £48.50
- Run Aintree 5k, 10k & Half Marathon – February1FEB2020
Run Aintree 5k, 10k & Half Marathon – FebruaryRunning ‧ Liverpool13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£20 - £26
- Blackpool Music Run26JUL2020
Blackpool Music RunRunning ‧ Blackpool6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£8 - £26
- Cheltenham Running Festival - June7JUN2020
Cheltenham Running Festival - JuneRunning ‧ Cheltenham13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£20 - £26
- Birmingham Running Festival - February22FEB2020
Birmingham Running Festival - FebruaryRunning ‧ Sutton Coldfield13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£18 - £26
- RunThrough Beat Box Hill 5k & 10k20JUN2020
RunThrough Beat Box Hill 5k & 10kRunning ‧ Tadworth6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£26
- The Swansea 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run1FEB2020
The Swansea 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Sketty6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
- The Manchester 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run2FEB2020
The Manchester 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Manchester6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
- The Peterborough 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run9FEB2020
The Peterborough 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Peterborough6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
- The Nottingham 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run9FEB2020
The Nottingham 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Nottingham6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16 - £19
- Run Aintree 5K, 10K & Half – July26JUL2020
Run Aintree 5K, 10K & Half – JulyRunning ‧ Liverpool13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£20 - £26
- Olympic Park 5K & 10K – January11JAN2020
Olympic Park 5K & 10K – JanuaryRunning ‧ London6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£24
- The Poole 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run15FEB2020
The Poole 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Poole6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
- The Milton Keynes 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run16FEB2020
The Milton Keynes 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Milton Keynes6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
- The Glasgow 5k and 10k Winter Warmer Run22FEB2020
The Glasgow 5k and 10k Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Saltmarket6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
- Milton Keynes Festival of Running15MAR2020
Milton Keynes Festival of RunningRunning ‧ Milton Keynes20.0 mi • 13.1 mi • 6.2 mi • 3.1 mi
- The Aberdeen 5K and 10K Winter Warmer Run23FEB2020
The Aberdeen 5K and 10K Winter Warmer RunRunning ‧ Aberdeen6.2 mi • 3.1 mi£16
About 5k events in the UK
5k (or 3.1-mile) is a great distance for all ability levels. Usually run or walked on road, they are hugely popular in the UK. Hundreds of people attend Parkruns every weekend, in 645 locations, from complete beginners taking on their first race to speedsters trying to smash a personal best. Whilst 5k runs are great for beginners, the distance is also a favourite of running legend Mo Farah. 5k runs come in many formats: night runs, colour runs, fun runs and charity runs and tend to happen all year round, regardless of weather.
What are the best 5k events?
5ks are the place to have fun. Expect fancy dress, friendly runners and maybe even a charitable cause to bring people together. Cancer Research UK host over 100 races of 5-10k in the UK each year, with varying themes. If you are looking for a big atmosphere, larger events such as the Edinburgh Marathon Festival and the Bournemouth Marathon Festival host 5k and 10k races alongside their longer flagship events.
What is a good time for a 5k run?
Finishing times for a 5k vary widely depending on your goals and whether walking or running. Finishing in under 28 minutes would be considered a good time by much of the running community. This would require you to run at 9 minutes per mile (or better) for the duration of the race. The fastest competitors can finish a 5k in under 14 minutes, whereas those who prefer to walk can take up to an hour or more.
How long should I train for a 5k?
How hard you should train depends largely of your fitness levels and experience. Those who are running for the first time and don't regularly participate in other forms of exercise should take on a 5k training programme to prepare themselves for the race. This will lower the risk of injury and also help to keep you motivated. Take a look at our 6 week training plan to get you up to speed.